Tom James attorney in Cokato, Minnesota. Practicing trademark, copyright, small business, nonprofit, and appellate law.
Admitted to practice in Minnesota, the 8th and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Also admitted to practice before the U.S. Trademark Trials & Appeals Board (TTAB) and in the U.S. Copyright Office.
Recent case (Minnesota Supreme Court): Hansen v. Todnem.
Author of several books and law review articles, including E-Commerce Law: The Legal Compliance Handbook for Online Businesses and Website Law. Recent law review article: Copyright Enforcement: Time to Abolish the Prelitigation Registration Requirement (Pulse; originally published in the Illinois Law Revew).
Tom James is also the founder and director of Echion CLE, an independent continuing legal education course provider.
He has a syndicated blog, The Cokato Copyright Attorney in addition to a personal blog. Recent posts:
- New AI Copyright Guidance (March 16, 2023)
- The CCB’s First 2 Determinations (March 6, 2023)
- "A Recent Entrance to Complexity" (February 26, 2023)
- "Getty Images Litigation Update" (February 7, 2023)
- "AI Legal Issues" (February 3, 2023)
- "Does AI Infringe Copyright?" (January 26, 2023)
- "Newly Public Domain Works" (January 2, 2023)
- "Top Copyright Cases of 2022" (December 26, 2022)
- "Woke" Is Not a Race, Sex, or Sexual Orientation Category (December 16, 2022)
- Words to Retire in 2023 (December 1, 2022)
- Court Agrees to Hear Parody Goods Case
- MSCHF Testing the Limits of Free Speech (Nov. 8, 2022)
- Job Search Scam Red Flags (Sept. 29, 2022)
- The Philosophy of Copyright (Aug. 26, 2022)
- Photographers' Rights: Warhol Case Tests Limits of Transformative Use (Aug. 18, 2022)
- The Internet Archives Lawsuit (July 2022)
- obbs: What Happened and What It Means (Jun 26, 2022).
- "The" a Registered Trademark Now (Jun 23, 2022)
Minnesota attorney Thomas James is TEFL/TESOL and TEYL certified. Thomas James attorney at law is also TBE certified.
Recent MSBA CLE (MinnesotaCLE): "Representing Relatives in Post-Permanency Proceedings" (August 18, 2022)
Other profiles for Thomas James: